Sentara Sports Medicine
Whether it is through early adoption of surgical techniques, a commitment to minimally invasive surgical procedures or providing a point of contact for local athletic trainers, Sentara is proud of its reputation as a regional presence in orthopedics and sports medicine.
- The first DeNovo® NT (Natural Tissue) graft surgery for articular cartilage repair in the world was performed at Sentara Leigh Hospital. This cutting-edge procedure to spur regeneration of cartilage was written about in the Journal of Knee Surgery.
- ACL autograft reconstructions, using just one hamstring tendon instead of two. This is an “all inside” technique that does not go through the femur or tibia (bones in the leg), resulting in less pain and quicker healing times at Sentara Martha Jefferson Hospital.
It’s really a privilege to be a doctor, and it’s a responsibility to be a care practitioner — it’s that balance between developing novel techniques and doing the right thing for the patient.
Trainers really appreciate the ability to reach us 24 hours a day.
Orthopedic surgeons who practice at Sentara facilities also share their time and talents throughout the regions, serving as team physicians for local schools, colleges and sports teams.
- The athletic trainers throughout the regions provide a link between the athletic community and surgeons. Sentara is a leading presence within the Blue Ridge, Hampton Roads and northeastern North Carolina communities, connecting orthopedic physicians and surgeons, orthopedic physical therapists and local athletic trainers.
- The Concussion Clinic provides rapid evaluation to monitor any concerning symptoms associated with concussions. Sentara doctors perform cognitive testing and help prescribe post-concussion care, including vestibular (balance) rehabilitation.
- Sentara-sponsored Annual Sports Medicine two-day conference is designed for physical therapists and athletic trainers. As Sentara is committed to specialized care and continuing education, this conference will be expanded to other regions.
- Sentara Colonial Half Marathon and 5K with William & Mary. More than 1,200 runners participated on this course through the streets and neighborhoods of historic Williamsburg. This annual race celebrated its 37th annual running in the late winter of 2016. All proceeds from this event benefit the College of William & Mary track and field and cross-country programs.