Sentara Sports Medicine
When you hear the term sports medicine, you may think that it’s medical care for professional athletes or younger people in competitive sports. While that is often true, sports medicine is really for everyone. Physical activity can increase your chances of living longer. Throughout the regions, teams of sports medicine specialists are helping people of all ages to be active and able to do the everyday activities of life — whether it’s running a marathon or just walking the dog.
Sports medicines representatives from across the regions evaluated successful sports medicine programs across the country as well as consumer research to create criteria for a comprehensive sports medicine program that includes both non-surgical and surgical orthopedic physicians, physical therapists, athletic trainers and other sports injury prevention and treatment professionals.
Three New Sentara Sports Medicine Centers Opened in 2017
In early 2017, Sentara Albemarle Medical Center became the first to be meet the established criteria for a Sentara Sports Medicine Center. Sentara RMH Medical Center quickly followed to establish the next Sentara Sports Medicine Center. Sentara Martha Jefferson Hospital will complete construction on their new Sentara Sports Medicine Center in late 2017.
Opened the Sentara RMH Orthopedic Center June 2016. This is a 58,000+ square foot facility that cost $20 Million to complete. The center includes:
- 38 exam room Orthopedic Clinic, with 2 X-Ray units in the clinic. Provides services for Joint and General Orthopedics, Sports Medicine, and Hand Services.
- 16 exam room Spine Clinic, with the addition of one EMG room. Provides Services for Spine and Pain Management.
- Advanced Imaging Center that includes: 2 CT units, 2 Ultrasound machines, MRI machine, Interventional room for image guided procedures, and 2 X-ray rooms.
- 5 semi-private treatment rooms and 2 private treatment rooms for up to 12 therapists including a hand specialist. This space also includes a Rehab/Sports Performance Gym.
- 15 Orthopedic Providers and 4 Radiologists practice out of this facility.
- Sentara Martha Jefferson Hospital completed new construction that brings together the orthopedic practices and sports medicine providers along with therapy services to create a complete center for orthopedics and sports
Whether through early adoption of surgical techniques, a commitment to minimally invasive surgeries or providing a point of contact for local athletic trainers, Sentara is proud of its reputation as a regional presence in orthopedics and sports medicine.
- The first DeNovo® NT (natural tissue) graft surgery for articular cartilage repair in the world was performed at Sentara Leigh Hospital: This cutting-edge procedure to spur regeneration of cartilage was written about in the Journal of Knee Surgery.
- Sentara Martha Jefferson Hospital offers ACL autograft reconstruction, using just one hamstring tendon instead
of two. This “all inside” technique does not go through the
femur or tibia (bones in the leg), resulting in less pain and quicker healing.
- The athletic trainers throughout the regions provide a link between the athletic community and surgeons. Sentara is a leading presence within the Blue Ridge, Hampton Roads and northeastern North Carolina communities, connecting orthopedic physicians and surgeons, orthopedic physical therapists and local athletic trainers.
- The Concussion Clinic provides rapid evaluation to monitor any concerning symptoms associated with concussions. Sentara doctors perform cognitive testing and help prescribe post-concussion care, including vestibular (balance) rehabilitation.
- Sentara RMH Medical Center sponsors an Annual Sports Medicine two-day conference that is designed for physical therapists and athletic trainers. As Sentara is committed to specialized care and continuing education, this conference will be expanded to other regions.
- Sentara Colonial Half Marathon and 5K with William & Mary. More than 1,200 runners participated on this course through the streets and neighborhoods of historic Williamsburg. This annual race celebrated its 38th annual running in the late winter of 2016. All proceeds from this event benefit the College of William & Mary track and field and cross-country programs.
- Sentara OrthoJoint Center® 2K Walk For the second year we added the Sentara OrthoJoint Center 2K Walk. More than 120 walkers participated in the 2017 walk. Participation increased by 37.5% from 2016.
Athletic Trainer and Sports Medicine
In addition to the new Sentara Sports Medicine Centers opening across the regions, new athlete trainer and sports medicine contracts and services continued to grow in the Hampton Roads region:
- South Hampton County High School
- Gates County High School
- Extended an agreement with Mathew County High School
- Booker T Washington High School in Norfolk
Orthopedic surgeons who practice at Sentara facilities also share their time and talents throughout the regions, serving as team physicians for local schools, colleges and sports teams.
- Admirals Hockey
- Tides Baseball
- Bridgewater College
- James Madison University
- Virginia Wesleyan College
- Hampton University
- Elizabeth City State University
- Newport News Shipbuilding Apprentice School
- Eastern Mennonite University
- Old Dominion University
- Harrisonburg City High School
- Hampton Public Schools
- Page County High Schools
- Rockingham County Public Schools
- Augusta County High Schools
- Pasquotank Public Schools
- Norfolk Public Schools
- Norfolk Collegiate School
“In the same year, I had a hand fracture and a concussion from cheerleading. The sports medicine care I received helped me feel like myself again. I had been tired and dizzy for a long time; now I’m fine and have energy to enjoy my new puppy.”