Vision for Unifying Orthopedics
Collaboration and consistent adoption of evidence-based best practices and innovations unifies Orthopedics across all providers affiliated with Sentara. We deliver orthopedic services across the continuum of care and consistently achieve excellent outcomes marked by:
Some of our 2014-2015 orthopedic achievements include:
- Orthopedic and Spine Task Force Teams, with 28 surgeons and 10 service line leaders, provided a systematic approach focused on innovation, standardization, quality and capital acquisitions. The results have been dramatic, saving more than $1 million through 2017.
- Orthopedic Service Line Teams at each facility continue to implement the orthopedic vision, by monitoring and evaluating care at each Sentara hospital, then coming together as a group to evaluate areas for improvement.
- Orthopedics volumes grew across all regions of Sentara.
- Introduced two new orthopedic programs, Sentara Sports Medicine Center and Sentara Hand Specialty Center which were developed in 2016 and opened first quarter of 2017.
- Three new Sentara Back & Neck Centers opened in 2016 and another opened in early 2017.
- Another Sentara Foot & Ankle Center opened in early 2017 with several facilities planning to open later in 2017.
- The Express Track Option was implemented in two additional sites, with a third site in process to open in 2017.
- Additional two Sentara OrthoJoint Centers opened in early 2016 and 2017 in our rural markets. An additional center opened in late 2017 to be the 11th center since the initial openings in 2011.
- In May 2017, we designated a second Orthopedic Hospital. The Orthopedic Hospital at Sentara Leigh is the first dedicated orthopedic hospital in South Hampton Roads and it recognizes the facility’s decades of excellence in orthopedic care. It joins Sentara CarePlex on the Peninsula as the only two dedicated orthopedic hospitals in the region.
Orthopedic Hospitals at Sentara Leigh provide patients access to the full complement of orthopedic services from pre-habilitation and surgery to rehabilitation and home care services. Specialized surgical orthopedic care is provided through board-certified and fellowship trained orthopedic physicians known for sub-specialization with expertise in joint replacement, hand and upper extremity care, shoulder surgery, sports medicine, orthopedic trauma care, orthopedic research, and more.
- Embraced the new norm of bundled orthopedic care and opportunities to further empower patients in caring for their health. Holistic care became even more important to us, with a continued shift for caring for the overall health of the patient and responsible for any readmissions after surgery.
“With my hereditary osteoarthritis, I needed to pursue surgical options when pain and stiffness in both shoulders made the simplest daily tasks difficult. Physical therapy has made all the difference in restoring my quality of life. Through hard work, perseverance and staff encouragement, I’m once again playing with my grandchildren. My quality of life has been restored.”