Vision for Unifying Orthopedics
To unify Sentara Orthopedics, all providers affiliated with our health system follow two key goals: collaboration and consistent adoption of evidence-based best practices and innovations. We deliver orthopedic services across the continuum of care and consistently achieve excellent outcomes marked by:
Accomplishments in Orthopedics at Sentara
At Sentara Orthopedics, we strive to stay on the leading edge of orthopedic care. We focus on delivering the latest, highest-quality treatment options to help people live the lives they want.
In 2018, we continued to pursue brilliance in a number of ways. This ongoing endeavor is reflected in our outcomes data and growth, as well as the awards and honors we’ve received along our journey.
Clinical Quality and Safety
- We’ve shortened length of stay for back and neck and fracture care patients. Five of the nine hospitals that house a Sentara Back & Neck Center surpassed the goal for length of stay. For fracture care, both hospitals met the target or came within 10 percent of the target.
- We’ve lowered readmission rates at many of our hospitals. Of the seven hospitals with a Sentara Back & Neck Center, seven lowered readmissions. Seven Sentara hospitals and the health system overall lowered readmissions below the target.
- Four of 11 Sentara hospitals that house a Sentara OrthoJoint Center® met the readmission target, including the Orthopedic Hospital at Sentara Leigh, which performs the most joint replacements.
- We’ve improved the discharge-to-home rate in nine of 11 hospitals with a Sentara OrthoJoint Center. More patients are leaving our hospitals healthy and going directly home instead of to another facility for continued care.
- Fewer patients across Sentara experienced blood clots following orthopedic surgery. Five of our 12 hospitals that offer orthopedic surgery saw one case or none.
- In collaboration with Sentara Life Care, we established criteria for designating centers of excellence within our health system’s nursing facilities. Centers of excellence are specialized programs within existing Sentara sites that provide expertise and comprehensive care. Programs at the nursing facilities include back and neck and fracture care.
More patients are leaving our hospitals healthy and going directly home instead of to another facility for continued care.